Monday, June 2, 2008

Shemar's 18th Birthday


In the Philippines it is a tradition that once your daughter turns 18th a debut party will be held. A debut party is a grand celebration of a girl’s 18th birthday and it also a way of presenting her to the society as a lady. It can be celebrated simply but meaningful. There will be 18 candle wishers for the debutants female friends or family members and 18 roses for the debutants male friends or family member. The 18 guys will be bringing a rose as they dance with the debutant. Most of these guys plays an important role in the debutante’s life can be dad, brother, childhood friend or boy friend.

Yesterday the 1st of June my niece Shemar had her 18th birthday, her parents gave her a surprised birthday party. She didn’t have any idea as to the follow of the program. My mama and my sister flew to Davao City to attend her birthday. My brother in law sent us an email to prepare a video greeting for her but unfortunately wasn’t able to make one. My sister Grace from South Carolina and myself just downloaded the Skype program for us to give our birthday wishes to her live.

Since we have 12 hours time difference I have to get up early on Sunday so that I won’t miss the phone call. I phoned my sister at 7 am she said they are still having dinner and program follows, while waiting for the call I tried to go back to bed but my mind was wide awake to make sure I won’t miss as it rings. I got the call it was around 9 o’clock in the morning. I was able to give my birthday wish to her, I can hear on the background how happy the celebration was, wish I was there.

My birthday wish for her to have more birthdays to come and blessings; to prioritize her studies before anything else for that is the only possession no one can ever take it away from her; and to finished her studies for that is best gift she can give to her parents. She said thank you and was crying for joy. I couldn’t control it my voice as she started to cry I cried too, hay too emotional. I just missed her and the rest of my family too back in the Philippines.

Happy 18th birthday to you, Shemar!

No comments: